News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Troubleshooting a Thermocouple Ground Loop

Started by mike1999, January 25, 2016, 03:06:PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1999

Anyone have experience troubleshooting a thermocouple ground loop. I installed a surface mount thermocouple on a motor surface to monitor overall temperature. I coupled it to a basic Red Lion readout and it worked fine.

About two weeks into its life, it started acting strange. The temperature reading started going from positive to negative and back again. I replaced the thermocouple with a new one and it did the same thing.

I then replaced the Red Lion readout with another one I had in stock. The problem remained. So i don't understand but it seems as though a ground loop has been created or something. I never heard of thermocouples getting noise.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to troubleshoot a thermocouple ground loop?

Cheller

I think a thermocouple ground loop is more possible than noise. A thermocouple generates a small DC voltage as it heats up and I'm not sure how it could be a noisy signal. I'm assuming the thermocouple is grounded to the surface?
Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --

mike1999

To be more specific, I am using a Red Lion CUB5TC Thermocouple Meter with an optional single relay card inserted to trigger a fault on the plc. The thermocouple is a Type J with a #10 eye hole that I screwed to the surface of the motor. I am trying to create a redundant temperature monitor for this motor since it is located in an out-of-the-way place.

The thermocouple is located about 50 feet from the Red Lion meter and this setup worked for a while before i started having problems. Not sure where this is going but I just thought it might be a grounding issue. ???

mike1999

OK, here's an update... If I unscrew the thermocouple from the motor and hang it in mid-air, it reads the air temperature just fine. As soon as I touch it back to the metal surface of the motor, the reading goes from positive to negative and then bounces back and forth like it's confused.

Cheller

Try isloating the thermocouple from ground. Get creative with some kind of insulator but still contacting the surface of the motor and see what you get.
Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --

mike1999

Cheller,
That did it, it is reading temperature accurately now. Here's what i came up with:

I used a magnet with a metric threaded hole that i got from McMaster for another application. I screwed the thermocouple to the magnet and I coated the bottom of the magnet with electrical tape. I also covered the braided wire with heat shrink tubing and it works great.

I'm still not sure why it worked for a while, but the probelm seems to be resolved. Thanks!

mike1999

In closing, here's a couple of parts numbers if you were looking to duplicate this deign: I got the Red Lion CUB5T from our local Red Lion distributor but the rest of the parts came from mcmaster.com.

• Magnet with M4 mounting hole: 5819K52
  • Type J thermocouple with a 3/16 hole: 3648K22
  • Clear Heat shrink: 7586K14

benklassne