News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Recommended reading material for maintenance?

Started by leonard, November 12, 2015, 04:30:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonard

Is there any recommended reading material for maintenance guys? I am exposed to both electrical and mechanical problems so aside from taking courses at night, I was hoping to do some research on my own. I see lots of good information about industrial maintenance on youtube, but I was wondering if there is any recommended books that I can read when I'm not online.
best regards,
Leonard

Experience: 2 years industrial maintenance

themechanic

Here you go, I snapped a picture of this one to help on the electrical side, it's called Electrician's Troubleshooting and Testing Pocket Guide.

I have this book for maintenance technicians in my tool box and I actually have referred to it for a few things along the way. Obviously it is a book for electrical troubleshooting of single components and small electronic systems. It is easy to get through the procedures because it is written for novice technicians.
Thank you and best regards,
The Mechanic

paulriley1

I know this is an old post but I think you can learn more by shadowing a more experienced technician or maintenance tech. Books can only teach you so much and then it is the real world experience as a maintenance tech that puts you at the next level. Troubleshooting independence and good solid repairs are done best by experienced techs.

treqilio

I agree with the shadowing advice to a certain point. Learning your skills from an experienced technician is good advice but there is no replacing a good education on any subject.

I took a vocational course on electrical troubleshooting and industrial electronics and I learned more there in three months than I expected to learn. Our teacher was fantastic and the way the troubleshooting course was laid out made it very good.

Look up "electronics schools", "technical colleges", and "night courses on industrial maintenance" in your area you might be surprised at what is offered.

3rdshiftguy

So much of what you will need to know as a maintenance tech comes from OJT (on the job training for those of you who are wondering). Basic electronics, common sense mechanics, and safe work practices need to be instilled in any technician first, then you learn the specifics of your particular facility and equipment.

In my opinion, experience matters most and reading material for maintenance is secondary.
Allen
(---The 3rd Shift Guy---)