News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

How to Configure Drive Feedback

Started by jackson6, January 26, 2017, 04:25:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackson6

I am looking for help on how to configure drive feedback in general. I am assuming that the basics would pertain to many drive brands and drive models. Is armature feedback the worst feedback? Opinions on this, thanks!

maintech

Quote from: jackson6 on January 26, 2017, 04:25:AM
I am looking for help on how to configure drive feedback in general. I am assuming that the basics would pertain to many drive brands and drive models. Is armature feedback the worst feedback?

First on all, configuring drive feedback differs greatly among the brands of drives, secondly armature feedback isn't necessarily bad feedback, it is just less accurate that a feedback device that is physically mounted to the motor.

The advantages of external feedback devices are the fact that they are electrically independent of the motor. I see that fact as making them more trustworthy than relying on the motor to report back to the drive with its status.
Regards,
a maintenance technician in the metals industry.

billbrwn

Re: How to Configure Drive Feedback

I have used armature voltage feedback on more than one system over the last ten years and had good results. I know that this option eliminates the independent feedback of an external device but it worked for me and it has been reliable feedback so far. Just thought I would put that out there sice it is one of the drive feedback options that does work in some instances.

3rdshiftguy

Armature voltage feedback has its place just like the other motor feedback options. I could see armature voltage feedback being an acceptable form of feedback in an application where the load doesn't change regularly since armature feedback is not as responsive as other external forms of feedback. It does work though, and it is reliable.
Allen
(---The 3rd Shift Guy---)