News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

AC or DC Proximity Switch?

Started by questionator, January 24, 2016, 09:34:PM

Previous topic - Next topic

questionator

If I were to design a control circuit from scratch, should I use an AC or DC Proximity Switch? Is there an advantage to using DC? Is there an advantage to using AC proximity switches? Does one perform better than the other? Looking for some advice on the matter.... Thanks!

AC or DC proximity switches

Cheller

I have never heard of any specific advantages to AC sensors over DC, or DC sensors over AC. i think the material you are sensing and the sensing distance that are designed into your equipment is what you are after.

The way I see it, if you need 2mm of sensing distance, and your sensing a steel plate, it shouldn't matter if it is AC or DC as long as the target (or object) triggers the ouput of the sensor. If anyone else knows anything more on this, please feel free to chime in.
Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --

philadelphiaguy

If you've got the same range and the same switch configuration. I don't see any benefit to AC over DC or vice versa. it just depends on the rest of the circuit your switching.

jackson6

Quote from: philadelphiaguy on January 03, 2017, 06:56:AM
If you've got the same range and the same switch configuration. I don't see any benefit to AC over DC or vice versa. it just depends on the rest of the circuit your switching.

I agree that the voltage shouldn't matter. It just depend if you have a 24VDC power supply with capacity available. As a rule of thumb, I generally go with DC sensors since most of my machines are equipped with 24VDC power supplies.