News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Do air valves cause electrical noise?

Started by vincenzo, November 12, 2015, 04:22:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vincenzo

Do air valves cause electrical noise?

I have a system that appears to be affected electrically by an air valve that is operating a clutch. This problem wasn't always there, but it is now. It seems to be causing electrical noise which in turn is affecting one of the servos on the machine.

Could electrical noise start after a valve gets older? Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks!

themechanic

Air valves can definitely cause noise in your system. As for explaining why it is happening now but hasn't happened in the past is out of my area of expertise. Check for loose wires maybe?
Thank you and best regards,
The Mechanic

stantheman

Air Valve Noise Suppression

Add noise suppressor in parallel to your air valve to reduce or eliminate the unwanted noise. Then you can move forward and continue troubleshooting from there if the problem still persists.

Cheller

Quote from: stantheman on September 03, 2016, 06:14:AM
Air Valve Noise Suppression

Add noise suppressor in parallel to your air valve to reduce or eliminate the unwanted noise. Then you can move forward and continue troubleshooting from there if the problem still persists.

I agree... If you have concerns about electrical noise, snub it out and see if the problem persists. The bounce created by an air valve can most certainly cause noise. I don't see how it could increase over time, but stranger things have happened. Eliminate it and let us know if that clears up your issue.
Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --

drodriquez

I know this is an old post but I can tell you with no uncertainty that electrical noise is common with electrically actuated air valves because of inductive feedback.

What is inductive feedback?

Inductive feedback is generated by the tiny oscillation of mechanical spring and parts within the valve that come with the movement of the mechanical valve parts at a high speed.

A snubber or filter will definitely help when you have this problem.
My Maintenance Job is M-F 9-5 !!!