News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Do you Prefer an Oscilloscope or a Scopemeter

Started by Cheller, October 03, 2015, 04:10:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your choice as a maintenance technician: Oscilloscope or Scopemeter

Oscilloscope
4 (30.8%)
Scopemeter
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Cheller

Well... the veteran maintenance techs and electricians may be used to the old CRT style oscilloscopes, but are they better than a modern scopemeter? Which do you prefer for diagnosing electronic problems that include tricky waveforms?

Let's hear your thoughts on this one....
Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --

adam12

Quote from: Cheller on October 03, 2015, 04:10:AM
Well... the veteran maintenance techs and electricians may be used to the old CRT style oscilloscopes, but are they better than a modern scopemeter? Which do you prefer for diagnosing electronic problems that include tricky waveforms?

I voted for the scopemeter just because I like newer technology. I think you can solve problems with either one as long as you are familiar with them.
Thank You,
Adam from Scranton

bfrankin

I was trained on a scopemeter to do a voltage measurements. When I look at an older oscilloscope I see complicated controls so I would prefer a digital scopemeter.
Every day is a new day for troubleshooting...

randy1

Scopemeters are newer and better technology... plain and simple...

vincenzo

I look at it the other way, I was trained on a basic 20MHZ oscilloscope and to this day i would just prefer to dig out the old scope. Once you're familiar with the controls on a particular piece of test equipment, it's hard to get away from it.

maintech

Scopemeters are the next generation of test equipment. They offer better technology like data-logging, you can't do that with a traditional oscilloscope.
Regards,
a maintenance technician in the metals industry.

aaronw

Scope-meters can do almost anything a tech needs

brianc75

Scopemeter has the advantage of portability, but a high end oscilloscope might end up being better for bench work. I like scopemeter because of the kind of work that I do.