News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Parker DC590+ DRV Troubleshooting

Started by kpatterson, August 07, 2015, 02:47:PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpatterson

Hello All,
I have a problem with a DC590+ DRV Series DC Drive that powers a 100 HP vintage DC Westinghouse Motor. These are the large yellow and grey drives sometimes called SSD drives.

This thing was doing fine. It is a somewhat fresh installation, maybe less than 6 months old. All of a sudden, the motor slows to a halt and I get an alarm on the Parker drive screen.

The alarm is SEQ PRE READY Unfortunately, one of the other guys cleared from the screen before I took the picture.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am going to contact Parker support as well. I need to get this motor back on the road asap.

Thanks,
Keith
Keep moving forward... one step at a time...

Cheller

I have used a few Parker DC590+ drives on my last job. I referenced some of my old literature and all the manual says is: Replace power board or chassis.

I know for sure that most troubleshooting and electronic component replacement at the board level is not recommended by Parker. The manual states that the control and power boards, as well as the control fuse F1 and SCR packs are replaceable. I don't see any other references to swapping components.

I guess that's why they would recommend a compete board replacement. You should check your specific manual to see if it's different.

Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --

kpatterson

Thanks Cheller. I will dig deeper. I took the cover off the drive. I also spoke with a Parker rep. and he told me to check all fuses before proceeding.

At this point, it's not looking too good.

Cheller

I was looking through the remainder of the alarms:

VERSPEED, MISSING PULSE, FIELD OVER I, Heatsink Over Temperature, Motor Over Temperature, OVER VOLTS (VA), Speed Feedback, Encoder Failed, Field Failed, Three Phase Failed, Phase Lock Loop, 5703 Receive Error, Stall Trip, Over Current Trip, Cal. Card, and ACCTS Failed

Many of these have somewhat easy fixes, not always cheap, but at least you have a chance at repair or getting your motor turning again.

Having to replace the power board or the main board probably won't be cheap.

kpatterson

This is what I need to change, the main board, it is easily accessed by swinging open the door on the front of the drive:

Looks like I'll get one ordered and take it from there. Upon replacing the defective main board, does anyone know if I have to reprogram the drive? Or will it maintain its calibration?

thanks!

Cheller

I'm gonna say, replace the board and power up. Then simply scroll through your parameters using the keypad and see if they are there. If the settings are right, you can try to start the motor.

There is a feature where you can save the parameters to the keypad on these Parker drives. Do you know if the parameters were saved there. If so, you can also load the parameters from there. I believe you would navigate to Load from Op on the menu if they were previously saved.

I have a hunch, however, that the parameters will be still there when you power back up.