News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Delta or Y Voltage Test

Started by Charlie22, August 21, 2015, 04:11:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie22

Hello,
We recently had a used equipment vendor in our facility and he asked if our incoming voltage was configured for Delta or Y. I was stumped, but after he left I went for a walk.

I'm very curious. Without walking out to the transformers at the rear of the property, would there be a way to test for Delta or Y with a multimeter?

Best Regards,
Charlie

kpatterson

You've got me curious... Is there a simple Delta or Y test using a multimeter?
Keep moving forward... one step at a time...

dv1976

Well, go back to basics and I think you can test for Y or Delta voltage fairly easily using a multimeter.

In the Y configuration, sources and loads always have line voltage higher than the phase voltage, and line current will always equal the phase current.

Using a multimeter, check for AC voltage between any two of the three phase lines and note your findings (240V,480V, etc) Now make the same voltage test from any one line to ground or the neutral conductor if you have one. If the voltage is considerably lower than your initial test, then it is a Y configuration. it's that simple.

Hope that helps you out...
Thank You!!

travis

Quote from: dv1976 on September 04, 2015, 04:24:AM
Well, go back to basics and I think you can test for Y or Delta voltage fairly easily using a multimeter.

In the Y configuration, sources and loads always have line voltage higher than the phase voltage, and line current will always equal the phase current.

Using a multimeter, check for AC voltage between any two of the three phase lines and note your findings (240V,480V, etc) Now make the same voltage test from any one line to ground or the neutral conductor if you have one. If the voltage is considerably lower than your initial test, then it is a Y configuration. it's that simple.

Well said...

allentrop

Quote from: dv1976 on September 04, 2015, 04:24:AM
Using a multimeter, check for AC voltage between any two of the three phase lines and note your findings (240V,480V, etc) Now make the same voltage test from any one line to ground or the neutral conductor if you have one. If the voltage is considerably lower than your initial test, then it is a Y configuration.

That's good info, I actually never knew that I have worked with electricity for what seems like forever. Thanks for the simple Delta or Y Voltage Test!

pender78

Thanks for the info guys, you answered a question about Y voltage that I never quite understood. My facility has Y voltage.

brianc75

Y Voltage configuration is quite common