News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Your Preferred Multimeter

Started by admino, August 27, 2015, 04:17:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Each multimeter has advantages, but which do you use most often...

Analog Multimeter
Digital Multimeter

admino

We all understand the difference between digital and analog multimeters. Why not have a little fun, tell us which type of multimeter you prefer... :)
Thanks to all for your technical contributions!

The Administration Team at OI

tomtester

I checked digital because it is the meter in my tool bag, but there are times when the old Simpson analog meter is needed, so these meters are still important even though they may not see the light of day quite as often as their lighter, and smaller digital counterparts.
Best regards,
Tom Tester

3rdshiftguy

I know analog multimeters take a little more effort than digital.

For some reason, I still feel more comfortable watching the needle deflect.
Allen
(---The 3rd Shift Guy---)

simplesimon

It comes down to simplicity... I can look at a digital VOM and get a reading faster than trying to decipher a needle on an analog meter. It's all about speed if you ask me.
Have a great day troubleshooting,
Simple Simon

meterman

Analog VOM's are more trustworthy in my opinion. Their digital counterparts are convenient, but real pros use analog meters.
Best Regards,
The Meter Man

themechanic

I look for speed and simplicity when I am using a multi-meter. My vote goes with the digital VOM, I think it is one of the best inventions in the history of industrial maintenance.
Thank you and best regards,
The Mechanic

kevilk

Day to day i use an old fashion wiggy. shows power and continuity. more detail needed i use my vom. if being tickky and truly detailed nothing like a good old Simpson analog..

randy1

I prefer a digital meter mainly for the size and weight, but I also have a Wiggy that I bought for 5 bucks from a co-worker who was hurting for cash. The Wiggy was the best 5 bucks I ever spent on test equipment though...

maintech

I voted for digital meters since they feel like the next generation in portable test equipment. They are just easier to carry than a clunky analog meter. However, I do have a Wiggy that comes out every now and then too. No maintenance tech should only possess one meter because sometimes one is more desirable than the other depending on what you're working on.
Regards,
a maintenance technician in the metals industry.

FrancisZ

Digital meters = easy to carry = better features in a small package

luckylou

I agree, digital multimeters make life easy. (period!)

remmy1

Quote from: luckylou on February 12, 2016, 04:11:AM
I agree, digital multimeters make life easy. (period!)

Better technology allows you to see your volt, ohm, and amp readings without any interpretation. Digital meters are simply better.

treqilio

Digital multimeters are definitely better than analog meters. You can get your reading faster and more efficiently with a digital meter.

What is the best digital multimeter? Anyone have a list of their preferred meters?

travis

Each style of multimeter has its purpose, but digital is more convenient for most applications. Technically, there is no right answer for the "best multimeters" question.