News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Fault Troubleshooting Yaskawa AC Drives

Started by JJJ1977, February 01, 2017, 04:27:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJJ1977

Looking for some help fault troubleshooting Yaskawa AC drives. I have had a few faults on a tested and proven application. Not sure if these drives are junk, or if I have need to replace and start over. This particular Yaskawa AC Drive is a J1000.

Any thoughts on Yaskawa AC Drives or advice on troubleshooting these units?

benklassne

Hello,
I have worked with a few different Yaskawa AC drives. I have worked with 2nd level engineering on three projects so far and my role included setup and optimization of yaskawa drives on motors that were 1 HP or less.

They make a few different AC drives, which series did you have problems with?

• Yaskawa A1000: General Purpose
  • Yaskawa P1000: Fans and Pumps
  • Yaskawa U1000: Industrial Matrix Drive
  • Yaskawa V1000: Compact Vector
  • Yaskawa J1000: Ultra Compact

JJJ1977

I believe it is a J1000 Yaskawa drive and the motor is 2/3 HP.

benklassne

First off, do you get a fault, an alarm, or an operational error? These are the explanations for Yaskawa...

Yaskawa Faults:
When the drive detects a fault:
The digital operator displays text that indicates the specific fault and the ALM indicator LED
remains lit until the fault is reset. The fault interrupts drive output and the motor coasts to a stop.
Depending on the setting, the drive and motor may stop via different methods than listed.

Yaskawa Minor Faults and Alarms:
When the drive detects an alarm or a minor fault: The digital operator displays text that indicates the specific alarm or minor fault and the ALM indicator LED flashes. The motor won't stop.

The multi-function contact output closes if set to be tripped by a minor fault (H2-01 = 10), but
not by an alarm. The digital operator displays text indicating a specific alarm and ALM indicator LED flashes. Remove the cause of an alarm or minor fault to automatically reset.

Yaskawa Operation Errors:
When parameter settings conflict with one another or do not match hardware settings (such as with an option unit), it causes an operation error. When the drive detects an operation error:
The digital operator displays text that indicates the specific error. The multi-function contact output does not operate. When the drive detects an operation error, it will not operate the motor until the error has been reset. Correct the settings that caused the operation error to reset.

JJJ1977

I know I 've had the "oC" fault for overcurrent. I believe I have also gotten "oH" and possibly another one. Not sure if the drive is just being overworked or if I have other issues.

benklassne

Yes oC is overcurrent, Yaskawa says that the drive sensors have detected an output current that is higher than specified in your parameters.

oH is Heatsink, the operating temperature has exceeded the parameter value set to L8-02.

I'll list a more inclusive Yaskawa Fault list shortly and i'll include some of the suggestions for clearing the faults/alarms.

benklassne

Here is a Yaskawa Fault list that I have. I just put the fault code and an indication of what each fault actually is.

• oL3 - Overtorque 1 Details: Drive output current was greater than the value set at L6-02 for longer than the time set at L6-03
  • ou - DC Bus Overvoltage Details: The DC bus has exceeded the trip point
  • CE - Modbus or memobus communication error since no data was received for longer than 2 secondsDetails:
  • CoF - Current Offset Fault Details: The current sensor is damaged or there was some residual induction current in the motor (possible sudden deceleration or it was still coasting) when the drive tried to start the motor
  • CPF00 - RAM, ROM, or CPU Fault Details: CPF11 is Ram Fault, CPF12 is ROM Fault (flash memory), CPF14 is CPU error, CPF17 is a timing error, CPF18 is a CPU error
  • CPF01 - RAM, ROM, or CPU Fault Details: CPF11 is Ram Fault, CPF12 is ROM Fault (flash memory), CPF14 is CPU error, CPF17 is a timing error, CPF18 is a CPU error
  • CPF02 - Analog/Digital conversion error Details: because an error relating to A/D conversion has occurred
  • CPF06 - EEPROM Data errorDetails: There is an error in the data saved to eeprom
  • CPF08 - EEPROM Serial Communication faultDetails: The EEPROM communications are not operating properly
  • CPF20 - RAM Fault / ROM Fault / Watchdog Error / Clock ErrorDetails: One of these faults occurred, a RAM fault, a ROM Fault, Flash Error, watchdog circuit error, or clock error
  • CPF21 - RAM Fault / ROM Fault / Watchdog Error / Clock Error Details: One of these faults occurred, a RAM fault, a ROM Fault, Flash Error, watchdog circuit error, or clock error
  • CPF22 - A/D Conversion Fault Details: Thi is a A/D conversion error message
  • CPF23 - PWM Feedback Fault Details: This is a PWM Feedback Error
  • CPF24 - Drive capacity signal fault Details: The drive enetered a capacity that doesn't exist
  • EFO - MEMOBUS/Modbus communications external fault Details: An external fault was present
  • EF1 - External Fault Details: External Fault on input terminal S1
  • EF2 - External Fault Details: External Fault on input terminal S2
  • EF3 - External Fault Details: External Fault on input terminal S3
  • EF4 - External Fault Details: External Fault on input terminal S4
  • EF5 - External Fault Details: External Fault on input terminal S5
  • Err - EEPROM Write Error Details: Does not match the EEPROM it is being written to
  • LF -  Output Phase Loss Details: There is a phase loss on the output side of the drive
  • oC - Overcurrent Details: Drive sensors have detected an output current greater than the specified overcurrent level
  • oFAO1 - Option Unit Fault Details:You have to replace the option unit
  • oH1 - Overheat 1 (heatsink Overheat) Details: The temperature on the heatsink has exceeded the overheat pre-alarm level
  • oL1 - Motor Overload Details: The electro-thermal sensor tripped overload protection
  • oL2 - Drive Overload Details: The thermal sensor of the drive triggered overload protection
  • oL3 - Overtotque Protection 1 Details: The current has exceeded the value set for torque detection L6-02 for longer than the allowable time
  • oPr - External Digital Operator Connection Fault Details: The external operator has been disconnected from the drive
  • ou - Overvoltage Details: Overvoltage on the DC bus has exceeded the overvoltage detection level
  • PF - Input Phase Loss Details: Drive input power has an open phase or a large imbalance of voltage between phases
  • rH - Braking Resistor Overheat Details: Braking resistor protection was triggered
  • Uu1 - DC Bus Undervoltage Details: Voltage on the DC bus has fallen below the undervoltage detection level
  • Uu3 - Undervoltage 3 Inrush Prevention Circuit Fault Details: The inrush prevention circuit has failed
  • bb - Baseblock Details: The drive output is interrupted as indicated by an external baseblock signal
  • CALL - Serial Communication Transmission Error Details: Communication hasn't been established
  • CE - MEMOBUS/Modbus Communication ErrorDetails: Control data wasn't received correctly for two seconds
  • CrSr - Can't Reset (CrST) Details: Fault reset was executed when the run command was entered
  • EF - Forward/Reverse Run Command Input Error Details:Both forward and reverse run closed simultaneously for at leat .5 seconds
  • oH - Heatsink Overheating Details: The heatsink temperature exceede the temperature setting
  • PASS - MEMOBUS/Modbus Test Details: The memobus/modbus test mode is complete
  • SE - MEMOBUS/Modbus Error Details: There is a MEMObus/MODbus test mode error
  • Uu - Undervoltage Details: DC bus voltage dropped below the undervoltage detection level

benklassne

As for the Yaskawa overcurrent fault,  here are the suggestions form the manual. There are quite a few things you can check.

• The motor has been damaged due to overheating or the motor insulation is damaged.
    You should check the insulation resistance or replace the motor.
  • One of the motor cables has shorted out or there is a grounding problem. You should check the motor cables and remove the short circuit and power the drive back up.
  • The load is too heavy. Things to try, you should: Measure the current flowing into the motor,
    replace the drive with a larger capacity unit if the current value exceeds the rated current of the drive, determine if there is sudden fluctuation in the current level, and reduce the load to avoid sudden changes in the current level or switch to a larger drive.
  • The acceleration or deceleration times are too short. You should: Calculate the torque needed during acceleration relative to the load inertia and the specified acceleration time. If the right amount of torque cannot be set, make the following changes: Increase the acceleration time (C 1-01,C1-03), Increase the S-curve characteristics (C2-01 through C2-04), or Increase the capacity of the drive.
  • The drive is attempting to operate a specialized motor or a motor larger than the maximum size allowed. You should: Check the motor capacity. Ensure that the rated capacity of the drive is greater than or equal to the capacity rating found on the motor nameplate.
  • Magnetic contactor (MC) on the output side of the drive has turned on or off. You should: Set up the operation sequence so that the MC is not tripped while the drive is outputting current.
  • V/f setting is not operating as expected. You should: Check the ratios between the voltage and frequency, set parameters El-04 through El-10 appropriately. Also lower the voltage if it is too high relative to the frequency.
  • Excessive torque compensation. You should: Check the amount of torque compensation and reduce the torque compensation gain (C4-01) until there is no speed loss and less current.
  • Drive fails to operate properly due to noise interference. You should: Review the possible solutions provided for handling noise interference. Review the section on handling noise interference and check control circuit lines, main circuit lines, and your grounding.
  • Over-excitation gain is set too high. You should: Check if fault occurs simultaneously to over-excitation function operation and consider motor flux saturation and reduce the value of n3-13 (Overexcitation Deceleration Gain).
  • Run command applied while motor was coasting. You should: Program the Speed Search command input through one of the multi-function contact input terminals (Hl-DD = 61 or 62).
  • The motor cable is too long.  You should use a larger drive to reduce overcurrent.

JJJ1977

Thanks for the detailed response!! Awesome!