News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

How to test an obsolete DC motor

Started by worker1000, September 22, 2015, 04:20:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

worker1000

Hello,
Since you guys are offering free advice, how do you test an obsolete DC motor?

I've got an old motor with brushes and no name tag. I know the motor runs off of 240 volts DC. It's not making any attempt to move. Looking for a methodical troubleshooting procedure for a motor with unknown specs. I know this sounds like a strange question, but I'm looking for advice on the best method of testing since I'm fairly certain this is a vintage obsolete DC motor and I may be looking at upgrading the motor and control if I can't get this going.
Thank You for your Support!
Worker1000

3rdshiftguy

Quote from: worker1000 on September 22, 2015, 04:20:AM
Hello,
Since you guys are offering free advice, how do you test an obsolete DC motor?

How is this motor being started and controlled? SCR Control, contactors, or solid state drive?
Allen
(---The 3rd Shift Guy---)

worker1000

The motor start for this old system is a contactor panel. It is a series of contactors that close in sequence using stepping resistors to ramp up the current to the motor.

These old motor starter contactor controls are barbaric by today's standards, but they actually do the job quite well overall. As a matter of fact, this contactor control has got to be over 50 years old as is the DC motor.
Thank You for your Support!
Worker1000