News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Advantages of DC Motor Versus AC Motor

Started by dv1976, June 13, 2018, 04:26:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dv1976

What are the advantages of a DC Motor versus an AC Motor. I've got two old conveyors I'm going to begin to rebuild in the next few weeks. I am going to replace the motors during the rebuild of course.

The conveyors originally came with DC motors and I'm thinking that converting to an AC motor requiring no brush maintenance might be a good idea or it might not.

I would be willing to install a freq drive to control speed. Should I match up HP and go for it, or would you guys just stick with the DC motors. What are the advantages of a DC motor?

Thanks!
Thank You!!

MackRa

I prefer the AC motor, but it's just a personal preference. I think both are solid options.

drives-technician

DC motors shine when you need full torque starting right at 0 RPM. That's probably why you have DC motors on your conveyors. If your conveyor stops with a full load and has to restart, this is where full torque at startup would be required.

I would stick with DC motors for this application., however you can find AC motor salesman that will try to steer you to AC for cost savings.