News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Isolation Transformer on a Drive or Inverter

Started by drodriquez, February 06, 2019, 07:43:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drodriquez

Is it common practice to use an isolation transformer on a drive or inverter in noisy environments? Or do we only add isolation transformers when there are problems?
My Maintenance Job is M-F 9-5 !!!

Cheller

It's just a transformer with a 1 to 1 voltage ratio that provides electrical isolation between the primary and secondary windings with no alteration of voltage. These are typically used on the power input side of the drive or device to be protected.

An isolation transformer can protect the drive from a ground fault or other malfunction of nearby equipment, as well as attenuate ugly harmonics and transients on the input power.

I don't add them by default and could be wrong. I've had issues in the past where I bought an optional isolation transformer kit and added it after the fact and it actually didn't even fix my problem.

So from personal experience, I usually don't add them but I think they would be beneficial to some who are in extremely noisy environments.

Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --