News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Don't Use Dynamic Braking

Started by drodriquez, February 06, 2019, 07:41:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drodriquez

Dynamic braking seems to be the braking solution for most applications in my opinion. Is there a situation or certain type of application where you don't use dynamic braking?
My Maintenance Job is M-F 9-5 !!!

actionjack

That's a tough one, because application is everything. I like using a combination of dynamic braking with supplemental mechanical braking when the start and stop time is too intense for dynamic braking alone.

I really can't see why you would want to disable dynamic braking all together, anybody else??
best regards,
Action Jack

zigmund

Using two types of braking in harmony with each other may be the answer in many cases. Dynamic motor braking and mechanical brakes serve different purposes and can be used in combination to provide enhanced braking performance and safety.

Dynamic motor braking is a braking method that uses the motor itself to slow down the rotational motion of a driven load. It involves using the motor as a generator, converting the kinetic energy of the rotating load into electrical energy, which is then dissipated through resistors or returned to the power supply. Dynamic motor braking can help decelerate the load quickly and efficiently, especially in applications where frequent and precise braking is required.

However, dynamic motor braking may not provide sufficient stopping power or be suitable for all applications. It is typically more effective at lower speeds and may not be able to bring the load to a complete stop within a short period. Additionally, in situations where power loss or motor failure occurs, dynamic motor braking may not be available.

This is where mechanical brakes come into play. Mechanical brakes, such as disc brakes or drum brakes, provide direct physical contact with the load and are capable of stopping it quickly and reliably. Mechanical brakes can be applied manually, electrically, or pneumatically, depending on the specific application and requirements.

In certain scenarios, combining dynamic motor braking with a mechanical brake can offer enhanced safety and braking performance. The dynamic motor braking can be used for regular or controlled deceleration, while the mechanical brake serves as a backup or emergency braking mechanism to bring the load to a complete stop in case of motor or power failure.

The need for a mechanical brake in conjunction with dynamic motor braking depends on factors such as the load characteristics, required stopping time, safety considerations, and industry standards or regulations. It is important to assess these factors and consult with experts or follow equipment manufacturer recommendations to determine the most appropriate braking system for your specific application.