News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Can you use a 400V motor with 480V?

Started by actionjack, October 05, 2015, 03:56:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

actionjack

We are having a discussion at work about a used motor we have. It is rated at 400V 50HZ. We have incoming power of 480V 60HZ and we are debating whether or not it will last. Has anyone had experience using 400V motors on a 480V system?

best regards,
Action Jack

3rdshiftguy

I was always under the impression that the motor nameplate was the key to the kingdom. If the motor says 400V than it has been designed for use at 400V. I would assume that you are safe at 10% max above that which would put you at 440V.

So 480V in a 400V motor, I feel like you would shorten its lifespan and possible increase its RPM. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Allen
(---The 3rd Shift Guy---)

vincenzo

Same thoughts here... a motor rated for 400V would indicate that it was designed for use in a 400V environment. I know if I were buying a replacement motor for a 400V motor that prematurely expired due to exposure to 480V, I would find a properly rated replacement motor.

I've actually never come across this situation, seems unusual unless you purchase a machine that was designed for use abroad. Here in the good old USA 480V 60Hz is the way we fly.

maintech

This would be like using a 120V volt motor in a 208V system. I wouldn't be comfortable even if it worked. Did you by any chance check RPM at 480V. I would be curious how much it would vary from the nameplate.
Regards,
a maintenance technician in the metals industry.