News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Solder Wick or Solder Sucker

Started by mike1999, February 12, 2016, 04:31:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1999

Just for conversation, do you use solder wick or a solder sucker more often? Is wick or the solder sucker better? Or do you see uses for each?

I have played around with both and sometimes the wick seems to work better than other times. i would prefer it if the solder wick worked all the time.

Cheller

Experience tells me that there is a time and place for everything. I agree that the wick is better for most applications, but if you are removing a larger amount of solder, you can get better results with a good solder sucker. I use both.

Now that I think about it though, I probably use the solder wick about 95% of the time.
Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --

luckylou

Any de-soldering I have ever done has been accomplished with solder wick. I prefer wider, heavier wick, I think it just works better.

brenden80

I also would rather solder wick in almost every case of simple board repair. The solder suckers never worked that great for me.
Best Regards,
Brenden

treqilio

I also prefer solder wick vs a solder sucker. I think soldering wick simply works better than the solder suckers.