News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

Shepard Niles Crane Electrical Problems

Started by william85, August 02, 2015, 06:19:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

william85

Does anyone have experience troubleshooting vintage Shepard Niles Cranes. When I say vintage, I'm talking 1960's and 1970's with Cutler Hammer contactors and controls. The crane in question is fed by DC so the entire system is good ol' direct current.

I'm getting excessive arcing on the main contactors but I haven't found anything obvious. We are going through contactor tips like crazy. I think they are 100 or 200 amp contact tips.

It seems like I endure a never-ending battle of Shepard Niles Crane electrical problems. Incidently, it looks like the whole cabinet is Cutler Hammer controls.
Thanks for your consideration! William '85

Cheller

Excessive arcing equals excessive current. What motor is causing the arcing? You should probably start there.
Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --

admino

Agree, typically crane controls would be separated according to function. Shepard Niles is definitely in that league so you should be able to isolate whether one crane motor is causing the arc, and if so, which motor has the high current.
Thanks to all for your technical contributions!

The Administration Team at OI