News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

What is a harmonic neutralizer in a transformer?

Started by jackson6, October 17, 2015, 11:07:AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackson6

Hello everyone,
What is a harmonic neutralizer in a transformer? I have an older 1KVA unit I'd like to use and I don't ever recall seeing a tansformer with a harmonic neutralizer before. Any help here?

thanks!

adam12

Quote from: jackson6 on October 17, 2015, 11:07:AM
What is a harmonic neutralizer in a transformer? I have an older 1KVA unit I'd like to use and I don't ever recall seeing a tansformer with a harmonic neutralizer before.

What is a harmonic neutralizer?

Well, it is a circuit designed to neutralize harmonic currents. Harmonic currents, or harmonics as they are better known, are a result of a distorted electrical waveform, generally created by non-linear loads. That's the technical end of things, I guess.

Some of the more common causes of unwanted harmonics are variable speed motors, variable frequency drives and inverters, industrial battery chargers, some personal computers, and even those small portable uninterruptable power supplies.

So harmonic neutralizers can be incorporated into some constant voltage transformers primarily to clean up harmonic distortion. To keep it simple, these neutralizer basically absorb harmonic power and emit heat as a by-product.

I really don't see why you couldn't use a transformer with a harmonic neutralizer for an application that doesn't have a harmonic problem. I look at it like a noise filter. The rating of the transformer should still hold true regardless of any capacitors or internal circuit.
Thank You,
Adam from Scranton