News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

More Maintenance Friendly: Function Block or Ladder Diagram

Started by randy1, November 11, 2015, 03:34:PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy1

What do you guys think? What is more maintenance friendly Function Block programming or ladder diagram programs.

What is more maintenance friendly: Function Block or Ladder Diagram?

If you were faced with a machine that is down and out, would you rather the PLC program with function block style programming or the good old fashion ladder logic?

vincenzo

Ladder logic is more visual for me. I just think it's easier since it resembles an electrical schematic. We have Siemens PLC's that use the function block style PLC programming and they can keep it. I can't someone thinking the block style is easier to troubleshoot a machine.

maintech

I agree on the ladder logic. I think general machine troubleshooting can be accomplished faster using a ladder diagram. Complex machinery sometimes requires an elaborate setup using PLC function blocks but I rather the good old ladder logic.
Regards,
a maintenance technician in the metals industry.

FrancisZ

For a run-of-the-mill piece of industrial machinery, ladder logic can suffice most of the time. For troubleshooting, ladder logic diagrams are definitely easier to follow than the function block counterparts.

I agree with majority. give me ladder logic or give me death...  :)

Cheller

Also agree that the ladder simulates an electrical diagram, therefore making it easier for a novice to follow. I prefer ladder logic troubleshooting to the function block scenario.
Need Help? Try eBay for Cheap Parts

-- The Emperor of Methodical Troubleshooting --