News:

Obsolete industrial electronics forum is still alive and well, just undergoing some maintenance and more anti spam stuff, stand by for a better experience

Main Menu

What is a Maximum Lag Error

Started by travis, March 28, 2016, 04:13:PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travis

What is a Maximum Lag Error?

Hello,
What is a "Maximum Lag Error" in layman's terms? Can someone provide a basic explanation or definition of a Maximum Lag Error message and its possible causes. I'm looking for tips on troubleshooting this type of fault. Thank you!

3rdshiftguy

What is a Maximum Lag error?

Here's my technical explanation of a maximum lag error, hope this helps you out, if anyone can add to this, please do...

Definition of Maximum Lag Error: Relating to a motion control system, the error is caused by the driven motor not being able to reach the commanded position within a set amount of time.

For the maintenance techs in the room...

A lag error can also be referred to as a "servo following error" depending on the software or hardware manufacturer. Anyway, from the standpoint of a maintenance technician, this usually means that the motor struggled to reach its desired position in time. This can be caused by a mechanical strain on the system and the motor falls behind on reaching its destination within the set time limit.

What should you do when you get a maximum lag error?

• Visually inspect the motor load for obvious causes of mechanical stress or strain.
  • De-couple the motor from the load if possible, this will enable you to isolate the motion control system from the equipment it is driving. This step will usually uncover the issue.
  • If the Maximum Lag error exists with the motor detached from the load, then there is a motor or feedback problem. Begin swapping known good components like encoder and motor if possible.

I have seen the problem being the driven axis or load being tight, like machine settings not done properly, and so on. When you uncouple the load, the problem usually becomes clear. It can still be a motor bearing or feedback problem also.

Allen
(---The 3rd Shift Guy---)

travis

Wow, 3rdshiftguy. That is great. These are the types of responses I'm looking for. The technical side and the maintenance side on how to address these things in a factory setting. Thanks again! Travis